Fairness

November 01, 2008 | |

I was going to write about adults who go trick-or-treating and how that is evidence of the entitlement philosophy that is prevalent in America, but I stumbled upon something much more interesting, at least in my mind.

Heres the predicament: Person A finds God, only because of His grace, fights the spiritual combat with the greatest zeal and bravery and, as far as any human can tell, defeats his enemy and reaches heaven. Now Person B doesn't find God, and lives his life ignorant of God's truths and, as far as any human can tell, does not merit eternal salvation. If we believe that the only way we can truly come to God in faith is through his grace then how is it that Person A receives this grace and Person B doesn't. The knee jerk reaction would be to say that Person B rejects God's grace, but that doesn't completely solve the problem. Original sin consisted in rejecting God and his commands, so isn't every human that is subject to original sin going to reject God unless they receive God's grace. It becomes apparent that God doles out grace in unequal ways. But that is kind of hard to grapple with. How could God do that?

I don't know that human reason can know. Seems to me that since God is all-powerful he could save everybody. Or that he'd just eliminate temptation. God doles out grace unequally. It makes sense in a way... we understand God through the world he created, in an effect=>cause way, taking things that the human mind can understand and applying it to something we can't. And when I look in the world I see great injustice, and how couldn't we. The world isn't fair, as this presidential election has pointed out. So then God isn't fair? What a horrible thought, that God doesn't, at least as evidenced in his actions, seem to really will the salvation of every single person he creates.

From time to time it's seemed pertinent to think of God like a parent. When I was 7 or so my dad was doing some yard work and I wanted to help him. He loaded up the wheelbarrow, which was probobly bigger than I was and I wanted to move it. Now he could have said, "thats way to heavy for you" and I wouldn't have lifted it, but he said "go ahead" and I tried lifting it and the episode ended with me lifting and pushing in vain. It didn't budge. My dad let me fail so that I could learn a lesson. Apparently I was a very self-confidant 7 year old. Even if God helps us by letting us fail, why is it that some seemingly fail and learn, and others fail and... well, they just fail.

The most frustrating line I've every run into as a student is "wisdom begins in bewilderment", because it lends absolutely no help to understanding the topic at hand. But that is the juncture I'm left at. God loves all of his creation with an infinitely perfect and unselfish love that man can never return. And it is clear that love is shown most convincingly and surely in action. So why wouldn't God give everybody the grace to be saved? I understand that he did in Adam and Eve and that they were allowed to reject God because of their free wills, which are a great gift, but why doesn't God give everybody such a clear opportunity to reject him? If Mother Teresa were to think of murdering somebody she would be overcome by a tremendous moral dichotomy, but a young gang member doesn't seem to have such a incredibly grave dilemma presented him. And yet he is culpable for it all, even though he didn't really make the same kind of choice Mother Teresa did.

It's just not fair that the kids get Halloween candy, and when your 32 you don't get it! But is even less fair that some people seemingly have better odds at salvation than others.

3 comments:

Good Thunder said...

I actually have been struggling with this idea quite a bit this year. I feel like my life has been ridiculously easy and I've always had a big bright future- while others close to me have just not had the same opportunities and their lives suffer greatly (in a spiritual sense mostly). I think it's useful to think of the scripture "to those who have been given much, much will be expected". People who see clearly have a grave responsibility to help those who don't- God made us with free will and made us all with different inclinations. Knowing yourself and seeing that you have it all makes you all the more responsible to give it away. In an sense everyone DOES have the same struggle for salvation, but it's different for everyone. For some it's in being a nun and helping the poor without looking down on them. You can be damned for that. For some it's making the choice whether to kill that guy or not- you can be damned for that as well. Granted all sins are not equal- but you get what I'm saying.
I think everyone can get to a point where they accept or reject grace and will knowingly do so. But for those that know the truth it is up to them to be perfect- absolutely perfect. I struggle with this sometimes because I feel like, just because I want to love God with everything that I am that I should- really MUST be a nun. But I really want to be married- I guess I don't want to NOT be a nun because I find that a silly thing to do (really who WOULDN'T want to be a nun? I'm not kidding- well I suppose if you were going to be a priest...) but I have a great desire to be married. Just because I'm not stupid means I can't get married? EVERYONE is called to love God in totality. Real totality too. I suppose I should really just stop worrying about it and wait.
If your life is filled with grace, it's up to you to use your life to help other to fill their lives with grace and not be a grace hoarder. If you hoard grace it become pride and damns you anyway. God can't make everyone the same and be "fair" then we would have no free will- and if we did we would make all the same mistakes and either all end up with a stupid victory in heaven that isn't a victory because we were predestined to do it anyway, or we would all die. The world is so vast- God must give some people a little extra nudge because he knows they'll take it and run- but that extra nudge could save the person themselves and another person also and God knows that. God DOES love us all! (isn't that WONDERFUL to think about?) and I think it's cool that he treats us according to our personalities. How else WOULD he treat us?

Tony Pistilli said...

It's not fair that I get people like you to help me out. I can't complain too loudly.

And on a completely unrelated note, the string quartet No. 8 is awesome! I like the 2nd movement a lot, especially the part around 1:00. Reminds me the reoccurring theme in the 1st movement of Glass' 8th Symphony.

Good Thunder said...

Yes it reminds me very much of minimalism- but oh so RUSSIAN! PS did you ever listen to Chris Thile? I'm sure I've barfed out how much I love him to you more than once. But if you're looking for something really interesting to listen to look up punch brothers http://www.myspace.com/punchbrothers
You can't really get the gist of how cool the piece is from that- but it's a start. I hope I can write a big smacking paper on it someday.