The Golden Proportion

November 29, 2008 | |

I had a literature/philosophy teacher who claimed that the golden proportion unlocked the meaning to the universe. And the kids who didn't care thought he was nuts and the kids who cared tried to mathmaticly disprove his golden callipers. I've come around though. Maybe I can provoke a blog post on the whole subject out of him, but here is my rather poor presentation.

So the golden ratio is about 1.618:1. See it exactly here (if your much smarter than I can can understand wikipedia articles about math...). And you can make golden calippers that maintain that proportion:

And then really cool stuff happens (I like the fig leaf. Mathematicians are always so modest. It's great!):

And shells:


And flowers:



And coffee (from the movie Pi. I've never watched it because supposedly it ends with the guy drilling a hole through his head). The golden ratio bit is at the end:



And in the human body! And face!

It goes on forever. The Marquardt website (the "face" link) is awesome! I really hope young girls aren't running out to get their face shaped to the golden proportion but I suppose that's at least marginally better than getting it shaped to be like Paris Hilton.

0 comments: