Yikes

November 25, 2008 | |


Amid all of the Minnesota election controversy I can't help but wonder why it is that we want those why can't even fill out the ballot correctly to be able to vote. What kind of knowledge do they have of the candidates or the issues if they can't fill in a clearly defined circle? I don't find any reason to rejoice over high voter turn out either. Every other election has been important enough to vote in and if it took the media hype or some other special element of this election to get you to the polling place, I don't want you voting!

This could never be implemented (and I'm glad) because just as soon as we require voters to know about the candidates we can all to easily impose other restrictions. But wouldn't it be nice if they only people who showed up on voting day really knew about who they were voting for? I would be much more at ease with the process if I knew that the guy who can't read directions wasn't going to vote.

When I was in 1st grade I thought I was pretty smart and I would rush ahead and do the worksheets in record time and inevitably I would miss some pedantic detail that had no didactic purpose and I would get half a point taken off on every problem and my teacher would look down on me with her reading glasses on the tip of her nose and say "you need to read the directions young man". I figured it out by the 2nd grade, and if by then I had figured out that I had to do what the directions said, regardless of how inane they were I think it should be a bare minimum that anybody who partakes in one of the greatest freedoms given to any man living today have figured that out too.

0 comments: