November 11, 2008 | |




I never understood why bloggers announce periods of inactivity, or apologize after the fact. It is as if they believe that there are readers hanging on their every post. It is as if they think people actually care what they have to say, that they are somehow important, so they waste hours on end writing everything they think they have to offer the world. Of course this doesn't happen here at Maria's Music where days are looking good, with readership skyrocketing and a flood of insightful comments; no doubt millions of readers really are hanging on my every keystroke. But even with that in mind I formally announce a period of intense blogging scarcity, until the new year. If you were stranded in the desert and my posts were glasses of water, you will surely die. The quantity of my posts will closely resemble the number of plausible economic policies of our President-Elect. If you take the number of readers of this blog and divide it by the population of the civilized world you get
(π^2)/10 ( .9869604), which is very close to the quantity (in bits) that I will contribute to the incredible waste of electronic storage we euphorically title the blogsphere.

It is common to become addicted to euphoric, epiphanic, euphonious, enlightening, and generally exciting blog writing. If you suffer from this ailment I recommend a brand new medicine, Let The Children Come to Me (pending FDA approval).

2 comments:

Good Thunder said...

AHG! You ARE glasses of water! How will I know that PA is still nurturing guys like you? Where will I go to learn all the things I don't know about Jazz that St. Olaf won't teach me unless I have Dave be my jazz tutor? Are you giving it up for advent? Oh foolish me that didn't find maria's music sooner... well have fun not blogging- I'll try to blog extra and I'll watch Brahms crash through the wall to lift my spirits- thanks for recommending my blog- but I wish you wouldn't pause yours!

Tony Pistilli said...

Stop by PA more often! (Did I see you were signed up for the coffee house concert?) Your presence brightens up the dreary, depressing monotony of those yellow walls. Besides, you are simply too cool: you know about Shostakovitch and Stravinsky, and this weird music called jazz, and you do this odd brain function called "thinking".

It's odd... whenever I get most busy I somehow find the most unproductive things to do. The modern computer is expert at wasting time (and it's all under the mask of saving time)! And then real prayer suffers because I don't end up praying until I go to bed way too late.

Your so right: the simple life is the best life. I wish nobody ever emailed me... I really am not important enough to have to "keep up" with my emails. I knew my senior year was going to be bad when I bought a calender.