Tradition to Relativism

November 26, 2008 | |

It's become strikingly clear to me that in the last 5 centuries a striking pattern from rigid tradition to relativism has occurred in Western classical music, philosophy, jazz, art, politics and more.

Western classical music moved from Palestrina and Bach to Shoenburg and Berg
Philosophy moved from St. Thomas Aquinas to Nietzsche
Jazz moved from Louis Armstrong to Ornette Coleman
Art moved from Leonardo DaVinci to Jackson Pollock
Politics moved chivalry and the rule of Christendom to the current American political scene

I don't wish to blatantly criticize any of the latter parties, but it certainly is apparent that this trend occurs. And it is seemingly not cyclical. It would be incredible if not impossible for music to return to the sounds of Palestrina, or for jazz to sound like Louis Armstrong.

I'd say I'll write a more comprehensive post later, but all that'd mean is that I don't have the time or knowledge to do it now so I need to research and find time, both of which have rarely happened in the history of my saying "I'll write more later" on this blog.

1 comments:

Good Thunder said...

Isn't it crazy that people don't like to take the best of both worlds either? You either get stuck as an old fuddy duddy traditionalist or some wacked out liberal. Why can't people just be... reasonable?