Live Blogging

October 31, 2008 | |




I'm really a pretty boring person. I don't go to political conventions or rallies, or any of the normal places to live blog. But over the years I have seen interesting trends in who trick-or-treats around the neighborhood, and as the official candy-hander-outer I have decided to live blog my encounters this evening (in a hopefully not-to-monotonous way). For some reason the "word-word-word" construction is really intriguing tonight.


6:30- I light the candle inside the pumpkin and begin practicing long tones on the flute while waiting for the first kid of the evening to arrive. I see Ethan's post at DTM about Ambrose Bierce horror stories. I don't have any of his horror stories, but I have a copy of his civil war stories, which have equally chilling realities. When my poor right pinky can't take any more flute, a nice cup of hot tea and Mr. Bierce will take up my evening.

7:00 - 15 kids have come to the door. A Jeckle & Hyde like devil/angel came, as did a very courteous princess. A foul smell is noticed outside. Unfortunately the candle is a bit too high and is burning to top of the pumpkin. Burning pumpkin is not a pleasant smell. The doorbell's pitch is a G.

7:30 - It's going slow. Only 20 kids so far. Another courteous princess comes to the door (holding hands with her younger PowerRanger brother) and while she is running to the next house says "have a good day", then, remembering it's night, stumbles to correct herself but "have a good holiday" came out. She leaves in a bit of a hurried confusion. Her dad suggests "have a good night" but it just doesn't want to out. I wonder how a child could ever be an infliction and not a gift.

8:00 - About 35 kids so far. I am becoming particularly fond of the one-piece full body suits that are popular among the PowerRangers and Spidermen. Especially the ones with built in muscles. I was beginning to brew my tea and start reading but then two teenagers came to the door. They were the first teenagers of the night. Two other young boys come up without costumes on. Remember those 4 people. I have a grand theory I'm working on.

8:30 - Things pick up. 75 kids have come so far. Another princess (must be a popular costume) asks me if I'm baking anything. I originaly thought that she preferred baked goods to the generic candy (which is understandable), but she was apparently more receptive to the smoldering pumpkin than I was. 8 teenagers and 3 parents have requested candy. 4 car loads have come. I'm enjoying my tea and "The Son of the Gods", which is beginning to inspire a post over at dooHICKEY, is just getting good: the young captain is about to die. My theory has solidified a bit more.

9:00 - A few older kids who should have something better to do come to the door, but not any sizable number; were at 80. The costumes are increasingly less interesting, though a former Petter's group employee earns a chuckle. Bierce makes me think a bit more. See, Abecedarius Rex (who started dooHICKEY) was my literature/philosophy teacher. Needless to say, it is daunting to take a book he put in your hands and talk about it, as if it is somehow equal to anything he can say on his own blog.


The light is officially turned off. Stay tuned for "The Entitlement Theory of Halloween" at this blog and "Paris Hilton and Ambrose Bierce" at dooHICKEY.

1 comments:

Good Thunder said...

Um- that basically made my heart ache to read. You can't know how much I love everyday life and reading that put me in a world that I long for. Oh for relaxation and simplcity! Tea and children! I think boring life is one of the most exciting things in the world. Exciting life- like say for a celebrity is boring because theres no creativity involved. Theres only being popular- no smelling the pages of books or relishing in the anticipation of brewing tea or musing on the stumbling comments of a little princess that was trying to love you but just couldn't find the words- oh HOW I love that little girl! Anyway, thank you for warming my heart an mind- Oh God is great indeed!

ps I see that you all have new pepband t-shirts and I don't know how I feel about that...