Down with genres!

October 29, 2008 | |



Sorry for the bad YouTube video. I hate them as much as you do.

Of late I've been really into this sort of trance like chant music. Check it out here (and here). When I first sang this type of music I thought it was a lot like some of the later vamping experiments in jazz that have so much soul in them. When I brought a chart like this to a rehersal I quickly learned that my fellow jazz musicians didn't see the same similarity, but it's not the first time I've gone out on a limb.

I was listening the Shostakovitch String Quartets lately. It surprised me how applicable to jazz some of his lines were. Of course jazzers have studied Bach forever, but Shostie has got some really outside stuff going on. If you think that Bird was listening to Stravinsky just to be cultured, or know what was going on around him, or because he genuinly liked it, think again. Bird wanted to use that stuff in his own music.

Among other things I'll never forget about Eric Gravatt, I'll always remember when he told us he used to skip school to listen to Stravinsky because he heard Bird listened to him. But then his mom caught him and he couldn't play the drums for a year. Now think about that: here is a drummer, of all instrumentalists, who is so interested in playing the drums (actually, music) that he's skipping school to listen to Stravinsky. And then his punishment is getting those drums taken away. Any other kid would be grounded, but Eric wouldn't have cared. That'd just force him to be around his drums, which would be a blessing. Truly inspirational.

---

And with 121 days left of school, I am overjoyed that for another 121 days I will attend a school that teaches Latin, even though I don't take the language.

3 comments:

Good Thunder said...

I'm curious as to what Shostakovich string quartets you were listening to- Quartet No.8 in C minor by any chance? Because movement III is ridiculous and I love it.
Also some might be surprised at who is influenced by my favorite ol' pal Stravinsky. People like Copland ate Stravinsky for breakfast.

ps it makes me sad to think about Shostakovich because the communists were really mean to him.

Good Thunder said...

pps- I would skip school to listen to stravinsky too

Tony Pistilli said...

It was No. 15. I got the complete Shostakovitch string quartets, symphonies and complete Mahler symphonies a while back for really cheap at B&N. I have been slowly working through it all for the past 8 months. I'll have to listen to the No. 8 soon.

Sometimes school just gets in the way of learning. Odd thing, isn't it...