Senior Quote

September 25, 2008 | |

Like every long term commitment there is an initial energy that sadly seems to always fade. While that initial energy is there I suppose I'll capitalize on it:

With 143 days left at PA I have realized that I will miss a school where every senior can publish a quote in the year book. I have chosen (with great difficulty) the following (featured in the 4th movement of Mahler's 2nd symphony):

Eternal Light

O red rosebud!
Man lies in deepest need!
Man lies in deepest pain!
Oh how I would rather be in heaven.
There, I came upon a broad path;
There, came a little angel and wanted to send me away.
Ah no! I would not let myself be sent away!
I am from God and will return to God!
The loving God will give me a little light,
Which will light me into that eternal blissful life!

From “Des Knaben Wunderhorn”


Also seriously considered:

"It was when I learned that I could make mistakes that I knew I was on to something" - Ornette Coleman. This idea will be fleshed out in a further "Things I Will Miss". But for now know that I deeply appreciate the complete idiotic immaturity that was my 9th grade year at PA. More than any book I've read or lecture I've listened to I learned to think by making a bunch of really stupid mistakes. And Ornette has been a bit of a role model for me of late. He's the kind of role model that you know is deeply flawed which makes him all the more appealing as a person. But this is all for another post.

"I'd go stupid counting all my money" - Thelonious Sphere Monk

And the lyrics to "Call It Clear".

All four seemed to perfectly describe the most profound ideas I gained at PA, but ultimately, with 100 words as a limit, I thought the idea of complete worthlessness in the reflection of God was most profound. And, inconsequently, one that I think most men need to continually remind themselves of. This may be for another post also. The energy is just building up to have a prolific blog once again.


0 comments: