Like and Love

June 01, 2009 | |

When I was elementary school the question used to always be "do you love her", which was one step higher than liking her, which was one extremely minuscule step above coexisting with her. But for a Christian it's entirely different.

A nun once told me that you can love people before you even meet them by praying for them. You can pray for your future wife, your boss, and (especially pertinent for me right now) your roommate. What more loving thing is there than to pray for somebody? After loving the obscure person, you may one day meet them. Maybe they are a celebrity-sort that you will never meet. But if you meet, then coexisting becomes the second in the chain of affection. And then you may just like them.

In Kindergarten I coexisted with those who I knew, liked a handful, and "loved" even fewer, but as a Christian I can love everybody (even folks I don't know), coexist with a small portion of them, and actually like a handful of them.

0 comments: