"Jazz is dead"

January 08, 2009 | |

So MPR cut "The Jazz Connection"... we all knew it was coming. I don't know the future: I don't know where music could possibly go, but the one thing I can assure you of is that unless Americans go through some radical changes in every area but musical tastes, anything with semi-advanced harmony, good melodies and ingenuity is dead. Jazz is dead. Classical music is dead. Why are we surprised? American's can't pay off their credit cards: you expect them to go through the drudgery of listening to a Mahler Symphony. The drudgery of understanding a Mahler Symphony. This post wasn't designed for this, but this is how it is (from a speech addressed to my fellow student body):

The late 19th century composer Gustav Mahler believed that a symphony was a representation of an entire world. This seems striking, but for obvious reasons. We have been instructed in reading and literature since we were in Kindergarten where as classical music is taught incredibly briefly in the music classes we’ve all forgot from middle school. You learn a few key pieces from a few key composers and your done. You’d think that classical music was run by 6 men who each wrote 2 pieces for the past 400 years if you took those classes as your sole guide. We were lucky to listen to a full piece even once. And we received no instruction in the language that the composers were using. Comparatively we (at least ideally) read before class, then go over it in class, and then refer to it in consecutive classes, and eventually we write an essay about the book. If we treated classical music the same way we would take each musical section apart, listen to it carefully at home, then deconstruct it phrase by phrase in class, and eventually write our own sophisticated piece. That simply is not the case, so it is difficult for us to understand the purpose of a Mahler symphony. We don’t think of it as a new world, just the same way as no kindergartner is going to think of “The Inferno” as a new world.

Pamela Espeland had some good quotes from angry emailers:

"Me, I'm pulling for Lightrail to reroute through their lobby."

"Pardon my French, but those bean counters at MPR are assholes."

And she added:


Allow me to suggest that we include KBEM and KFAI in our giving plans. And to suggest that in the midst of the economic crisis, the cutbacks, the layoffs, the downsizing, our personal economic troubles, our worries, and our fears, that we do what we can to support live jazz. If we want it to be there and available to us six months from now--whether at the Dakota or the AQ, Orchestra Hall or the Ted Mann, the Rogue Buddha, the Kitty Cat or the Hopkins Center, the Clown Lounge or the Hat Trick or Cafe Maude or any one of the places we can experience this remarkable music in person--let's get out there, kids. Now is the time.


But people act as if jazz is still entertaining to the average American. And I agree with all the people who claim good music isn't always entertaining, just like great books are a bore to read sometimes, but nothing sells in this day an age if it's not entertaining. Don't fool yourself into thinking that jazz is all that entertaining. It's not! Why would it be? The thing is you don't see "normal" people at the AQ. Cafe Maude isn't staying open because of their late night jazz jokes on their smaller than cramped stage. And if we keep flocking to auditoriums to hear jazz it's going to be just like classical music (cue Greg Sandow). You should be able to yell during a jazz concert. "YES!" or "DON'T HURT 'EM". Not the pretty golf clap.

Why is everybody surprised that the intelligent, elevated forms of music are dying? Because intelligent, elevated people are dying!

5 comments:

Abecedarius Rex said...

To paraphrase Nietzsche's Zarathustra, "Music is dead. BMG killed it."
But seriously, if we do kill good music, do we precipitate the death of God? (or at least God in us?) If all our music is loud, repetitively derivative pounding sound and screeching violent lyrics to an undulating crowd of half drunk devotees of the weed, have we effectively killed the god in us? Or when we commercialize music beyond all possibly recognition as an art form - making it no different from a gelatinous glob of processed ham do we kill the god? Or when we swing our asses for Jesus to the sound of a rainstick and a boogying ex-hippy with good intentions and an overly zealous tambourine singing "Tree of Life", do we smother the god? Is God dead ... b/c music might be?

Pamela Espeland said...

What--the people at the AQ aren't normal? News to me. But I'm probably not normal either. :)

Tony Pistilli said...

As soon as jazz, a music that preached freedom came along, flappers preaching the same message became disciples. When Mike Lewis comes along he attracts people that are similar to him: green pants, long hair and all. I love Mike. He's a great guy, a great player; generally great. But he's not normal. He would stand out in a crowd. It's an ugly way to judge people saying who's "normal" and who isn't. I know there are more descriptive ways to say it, but they are all escaping me.

At any rate, thanks for keeping me honest. I love reading your blog; I just wish you wrote before the shows so I didn't have to read everything I missed out on. Despite the bleak picture I'd like to paint of jazz you do the art a great service.

Tony Pistilli said...

And Mr. Rex: That's exactly why I refuse to read Nietzsche. I have his collected works sitting within arms reach, but he's just too right for my mind to deal with. He forgot that we can't kill God, we can only massacre our own souls. I can deal with that much. We can kill music though, your right. It's a human faculty, a human art and we can never forget that, no matter how ethereal Mahler symphonies are. We can use any of our faculties to glorify God or turn our backs on him. I don't think the question is so much can we degrade ourselves with music as the medium, because I think it's obvious: YES! You can do that with anything (TV, literature, talk radio, anything). The question is can we really glorify God with music. I'm inclined to say no, but PA (thank God!) made me a very confused musician. Think of all the saints: none of them(including Cecilia!) devoted much of their time to playing music. Pretty bad argument, but I'm just starting to figure this out. Horrible timing: right when I need to decide (so it seems at times) the rest of my life.

Well, I'm breaking both of my rules: never respond with another (supposedly more important) question and never respond by saying you don't know. Hopefully you'll put up with my pride and ignorance and offer any support you might have. Far be it for me to think I can successfully make Aquinas-like distinctions and not come out confused.

Pamela Espeland said...

Hey, thanks for reading! I thought you meant the crowd at the AQ, not the musicians. And I'm guessing Mike Lewis would be perfectly OK with being described as "not normal." Though I might suggest "exceptional." BTW I do write before some shows--every Friday for MinnPost.com, where I post a few picks for the upcoming weekend/week. Check out the Arts Arena section if you have a chance.