Another Quote

May 11, 2008 | |

On a more trivial note, I love this line in The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton). You have to read it in context. Ponyboy says:

I was still thinking about it [Soc girls] while I was doing my homework that night. I had to read Great Expectations for English, and that kid Pip, he reminded me of us - the way he felt marked lousy because he wasn't a gentleman or anything, and the way that girl kept looking down on him. That happened to me once. One time in biology I had to dissect a worm, and the razor wouldn't cut, so I used my switchblade. The minute I flicked it out - I forgot what I was doing or I would never have done it - this girl right beside me kind of gasped, and said "They are right. You are a hood." That didn't make me feel so hot. There were a lot of Socs in that class - I get put in A classes because I'm supposed to be smart - and most of them thought it was pretty funny. I didn't, though. She was a cute girl. She looked real good in yellow.

I can't yet decide whether I like that line because I'm a teenager or a reader.

It reminds me of the line in some Greek epic or play where they describe Athena (I think) as having beautiful ankles.

And it reminds me of the Blink-182 song "All The Small Things"... I'm somewhat sorry to say.

----------

Happy Mother's Day. To bad nobody knows that it is (maybe was) a religious holiday.


---------

I have covered philosophy, teenage angst books and the popular ignorance of religious holidays in one day. Don't expect to much posting until the second week in June.

0 comments: