National Honor Society

December 10, 2007 | |

I am a tad (well, very) cynical about National Honor Society and programs like it. The idea that membership in a club, who's main purpose is to volunteer (i.e. without selfish motives), is going to get you into a "good" college is ridiculous. Membership in National Honor Society does not reflect any sort of scholarly output of the members either. You are only asked to join if you have good grades already.

But as always, Mr. Ethan Iverson has it spot on.

From 9th grade on every great teacher I've ever had would know who Schoenburg is. More and more I am led to the belief that an eclectic music library and being smart go hand in hand. Few idiots listen to Charlie Parker or Mozart. I'll have to think about it more before I start forming to many shameless characterizations.

0 comments: