Hiatus

December 22, 2007 | |

I'm gone until New Years.

I will be sitting on the beaches of Mexico reviewing my 18th century theory. So brush up on realizing figured bass, and explaining modulation the classical way if you so miss Maria's Music during my absence.

I don't understand why jazz musicians say "first inversion" and classical musicians say "6". Jazz musicians say it how it is, and classical musicians come up with a symbol to describe how it is. Jazz is a fast paced art. You need short, simple phrases to get the idea across quick. Classical music is a thought-out art. The better part of a jazz song, the improvisation, is lead only by chord changes. The whole of a classical work is written out.

Check out the new Do The Math if that doesn't interest you.

Have a merry Christmas! And a happy New Year.

1 comments:

Old Romantic said...

As a small point, I actually think everyone says, "first inversion." We only say "6" when we're doing analysis in class. Otherwise we can be just as concise and to-the-point as jazz musicians. Hence the classical substitution of a full 15 minute violin solo during a I 6/4 chord before the V and Perfect Authentic Cadence. See? Concise.