I should have been born in 1922, Part 2

August 06, 2009 | |

On account of my 7am Calculus II class in the coming months I'll have to follow the wonderful liturgy The Church has without being a part of it. As a side note, isn't it awesome that the Catholic Church has daily mass? And not only can you go to mass everyday, but there are different prayers, antiphons, readings and prefaces for each day. There are different masses for every saint, common masses for different types of saints, and masses for different occasions. So yes, I don't want to miss out on all of that cool stuff even though I'm going to be in a lecture hall instead of a chapel, so I went out and got myself the Vatican II Weekday Missal.

Today, August 6th, The Feast of the Transfiguration, I was rather excited to use my missal for the first time, only to find out that those crooks over at Vatican II make you buy their Sunday Missal if you want to follow the Transfiguration, so, lacking such a Sunday Missal I turned to my much prized, if rarely useful in the modern era, Catholic Missal a la 1943. Check this out:


The modern priest says: Blessed are you, God of all Creation, for it is through your goodness that we have this bread to offer, which earth has given and human hands have made. It will become the bread of life.

But from 1943 to 1962(?) it was: Accept, O holy Father, almighty, everlasting God, this stainless host, which I, thine unworthy servant, offer unto thee, my God, living and true, for mine innumerable sins, offenses, and negligence, and for all here present; as also for all faithful Christians, both living and dead, that it may be profitable for my own and for their salvation unto life eternal. Amen

And then: We offer unto thee, O Lord, the chalice of salvation, beseeching thy clemency that, in the sight of thy divine majesty, it may ascend with the odor of sweetness, for our salvation, and for that of the whole world. Amen.

0 comments: