The long overdue second "Call It Clear" post.

February 10, 2008 | |

The first one is here.

Lines in consideration:

You count on your fingers
Pitches you ought to be and soon
Just let them call you

The lyrics first struck me as a bit obscure and the thoughts inside my head weren't as verbose as they were when I was thinking about the first 3 lines. But I realized the multiple meanings that many of the words have. "Count", "pitches", "just" and "call" all have several meanings. And "them" is equally ambiguous.

"count" -
counting numbers or objects: "Count to ten slowly"
including /excluding: "Count me in/out."
to consider: "I count myself lucky"
to be worth something: "I won't count that quiz grade"
to have merit: "Everybody counts on the team"
in law: "He received two counts of first degree murder"
a noble man: "The Count of Champagne"

"pitches" -
to construct: "To pitch a tent"
to throw: "He pitched the baseball"
a degree: "His champaign reached fever pitch"
to sell: "His pitch was convincing. I bought the toaster"
slope: "The ski slope's pitch was daunting"
in naval navigation: "The pitch and roll of the ship"
golf: "a pitch shot"
music: "a note"
a playing field: "you play cricket on a pitch"
location: "The busker claimed 4th and Broadway as his pitch"
to help: "He pitched in"

"just"-
adhering to justice: "the judge was just"
simply: "just go to school"
close proximity: "He just showed up"

"call"-
to use the telephone: "I called him"
to receive divine guidance: "He was called to the priest hood"
to search: "He called out for any hope of human live."

Certainly many of those meanings are irrelevant in the context of the sentence, and the greater song, but the connotations the words provide is certainly interesting. Next Sunday I will try to interpret what all this means.

------------

In the mean time go and read the Old Romantic's post about Beethoven. I often wondered why he called himself Old Romantic, because he always seemed to be a Mozart devote. But as long as we're talking about double meanings, I think Mr. Romantic is commenting on his charm, suave nature and general way with the ladies, rather than his musical preferences.

And I have updated the side bar of blogs. I had a few to add. Also, I've started posting on "The Philosophic Blurb". I'll republish some of my posts on there from time to time.

1 comments:

Good Thunder said...

haha Old Romantic "charming" ladies... I laugh.